Monday, February 04, 2008

Of the so-called Sensitivity ….

I always thought the word reefers to someone who gets more affected by his\her surroundings than others do ..

I’ve also always known for a fact that this – naturally – causes this person to be usually unhappy ..
Well; speaking from my own corner I know that being a sensitive person caused me to be always at extreme in my emotions ..
Small tiny things can make me crazily happy , but also small things can leave me really hurt and sad ..
So far that’s no news .. many people know that and are like that so what else is new ?

The news came through this book I recently read by one of my favorite authors, he was talking casually - and cynically - about sensitivity, specifically in girls .. and he drew my attention to a totally different angle to consider it ..
He thinks being sensitive means – mostly – that you’re selfish and self centered …!!

As shocked as I was, I cannot deny that his words are partially true ..
If you think about it, you gotta be truly and dedicatedly focused on YOU to suffer the sensitivity symptoms ..
I mean, yeah you’re mainly focused on what makes you sad, what makes you happy, how people just don’t get you, and how sometimes it seems that the whole world is out to get you...

I admit that it’s true .. yes sensitive people get that kind of feelings every now and then .. I always thought it means that a sensitive person simply just feels deeper than the others .. things somehow get beyond your skin ..
I never thought that this could be translated to some sort of egoism in some people’s dictionary ..
Coz, yes surly it involves a lot of You but what happens to others affect you as much ..



Just think of those countless times when tears came to your eyes over a friend’s suffering that you cannot ease ... compassion for others who are less fortunate than you are or the joy that would fill your heart seeing a child who smiles or the comfort you brought someone.

I admit that perhaps this is self-centered, but I don’t think it’s selfish ..

Well, I guess I understand now why this guy I once knew used to complain that I’m “ super sensitive “ … now I know what he really meant to say ......



4 comments:

Askandarani said...

mmmmm, mesh fahem, what is the name of the book. it is almost 1.30 and this is really brain chalenging.

PS. thought ur posts for 2008 would be happy thoughts.

Pink Unicorn said...

Dear Askandarani,

Oops .. sorry, obviously the post was a bit vague ..
Sorry about that , it wasn’t intentional wallahi ..

The book was called .. weirdoes ..
As I said it was sarcastic , the point is I always thought of the adjective “ sensitive “ in a certain way ( someone who’s easily affected ), the book just surprised me with that some people could think sensitive means you’re selfish and only concerned with yourself ..
That was a bit shocking that’s all ..

And as for happy thoughts .. give me a break I’m really trying here ..
:-)
Anyway, you can call that one neutral , neither sad or happy .. just a thought .

princesse tafida said...

intersing begad,,,,
i wanna thank you for ur comment on my blog " وا اسفاه علي الرجال"
plz send it to ur friend all,,
i will write another one today,,plz se it...
bgad good job,,,,,,ur blog is perfect

Pink Unicorn said...

Dear Princesse Tafida,

Thank you too for your visit and nice words ..
I liked your blog as well and I sure will pass it on ..

waiting for your new post ..
Good luck ..